Quality & Volume through Advanced Surgical First Assistance
Efficient, high-quality surgical assistance gives the hospital and the surgeon the ability to do more with fewer resources – helping the transition to value-based care. Intralign’s OR Optimization Program optimizes the surgical episode from a resource and quality perspective, leveraging advanced trained Surgical First Assistants (SFAs) to improve quality while reducing surgery time and lowering costs.
Higher Competency, Enhanced Efficiency
Intralign provides its 200+ hospital partners with the most qualified SFAs in the industry. Our expert team includes SFAs that are Medical Doctors, Physician Assistants, and Nurse Practitioners – advanced educated in both operational and clinical competencies. Intralign SFAs:
- Are advanced trained through Intralign Academy, a specialized curriculum developed in partnership with world-renowned orthopedic care provider, Hospital for Special Surgery.
- Average up to 1,700 hours of OR time per year – often times performing more surgeries than the lead surgeon.
- Are trained in OR management and efficiency; understanding how to optimize procedure time and communication channels.
Intralign SFAs meet the need for hospitals to create surgical efficiency, enabling the hospital and surgical staff to improve work flow, quality and reduce costs. Intralign measures and monitors SFA impact and OR efficiency through our OR Optimization Report – objective, high-quality OR efficiency assessment that provides the hospital with:
- Weekly and quarterly reporting on critical OR efficiency metrics
- Efficiency opportunities and financial savings impact to the hospital
- Validation of existing hospital metric data
Intralign provides regular reporting to the hospital on the following OR key efficiency indicators:
Case Timeliness: Intralign captures and quantifies delays in case start times to identify potential OR inefficiencies and improve room turnover.
Supplies, Instrument, and Equipment Management: Intralign assesses the handling and processes associated with OR equipment and supplies to improve work flow.
Patient Safety/Work Flow: Intralign evaluates issues that can directly impact patient safety including time out protocol, speed of patient transfer, and reliance on the orthopedic sales rep for clinical instruction.
Intralign SFAs Improve Surgical Efficiency
*Based on surgery time for HCPCS codes related to procedure area and derived from adding specific intra-operative activities that research has shown to produce reduced surgery time when taken over by SFA. Minute savings are from Bohm et al., Experience with Physician Assistants in a Canadian arthroplasty program, Canadian Journal of Surgery, Vol. 53, No 2, April 2010. Reduced procedure time calculated as percentage of surgeon’s procedure time reduced by addition of SFA to the procedure.
Managing the Episode of Care
Intralign Surgical First Assistants are the foundation to realizing control and achieving results under value-based care. Intralign’s OR Optimization Program combines clinical resources and operational support tools to measure and monitor utilization and efficiency to create transparency for the hospital. As a result, hospitals have been shown to:
- Reduce payroll up to $1M annually
- Reduce surgery time – up to 30% on major procedures
- Increase throughput – as much as 42%
Your hospital’s efficiency and quality journey starts here. Visit our case study page to learn more about the results offered by Intralign’s unique healthcare services.